- Fillets from one large mackerel cut in 4cm pieces.
- 2.5cm ginger cut in matchsticks
- 2 tbsp. mirin
- 1 tbsp. sake
- 1.5 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 cup dashi stock (or water)
- 5 tbsp. red (“aka”) miso paste
- 2 scallions cut in 2cm pieces, whites and greens separated.
- Combine dashi, soy, mirin, sake, 3 tbsp. miso, and sugar in a sauce pan and bring to boil.
- Add ginger, scallion whites, and mackerel, put on tinfoil otoshi buta, and simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes, basting every few.
- Stir in remaining miso and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add scallion greens, replace otoshi buta, and cool to room temperature in pan.